13 Jan 2018 |Brett Abrams |Globalzero.org via Popular Resistance
“WASHINGTON, D.C. — In a new open letter to members of Congress, seventeen former nuclear launch officers issue a grave warning regarding President Trump’s unfettered access to nuclear weapons, declaring that the current U.S. nuclear launch process “poses a clear and present danger to the country and the world: No one — not the secretary of defense, not the attorney general, not Congress — can veto that order. There are no reliable safeguards in place to contain this power.”
FCC says launching full inquiry into false Hawaii missile alert The U.S. Federal Communications Commission said on Saturday it was launching a full investigation into a false emergency alert that said a ballistic missile was headed for Hawaii, the chairman of the commission said.
The alerts to Hawaii cellphone users were issued at about 8:07 a.m. local time (1807 GMT), saying “ballistic missile threat inbound” and urging residents to seek shelter immediately. The message also appeared on Hawaii television stations, according to news reports. The alert was officially canceled about 38 minutes later.
The letter comes on the heels of last week’s alarming tweets from President Trump in which he boasted about having a “much bigger and more powerful” nuclear button on his desk than North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
VIEW THE LETTER HERE: http://bit.ly/missileers
The missileers argue that there are currently “a number of good proposals before Congress right now that would rein in the president’s power to order the first use of nuclear weapons.
Whether it’s assigning the defense secretary and attorney general a role in certifying a launch order, requiring a Congressional Declaration of War before the first use of nuclear weapons, or ending the policy of nuclear first use entirely, any of these common-sense measures would reduce the risk we now face. ”
Twenty years after the Cold War, maintaining vast arsenals of mass destruction – at a staggering cost of $1 trillion per decade globally – makes no sense, strategically or financially. Nuclear weapons undermine global stability. We need to reset our priorities, abandon outdated thinking on global security and set the world’s course to global zero.
21st century global security can’t be built on the Cold War idea of basing national security on the threat of mass destruction. The ability to completely annihilate populations, infrastructure and the environment doesn’t make us safer or more secure.
“We cannot stand idly by as Donald Trump holds us all hostage to his petulant mood swings,” said Dr. Bruce Blair, a veteran nuclear launch officer and co-founder of the Global Zero movement to eliminate nuclear weapons. “Donald Trump is the last person who should possess the nuclear codes and the power to start a nuclear conflagration.
Join: Global Zero – A world without Nuclear Weapons
Our weapons have the power to destroy entire nations, including our own nation if he initiates a nuclear war. As a former steward of the nuclear launch keys, I’ve learned about the stability, competence and temperament it takes to hold such a responsibility, and Donald Trump has shown us all he possesses none of those qualities.”
The only way to eliminate the existential nuclear threat is to stop the spread of nuclear weapons, secure all nuclear materials and eliminate all nuclear weapons: “global zero.”
We have a plan. It’s backed by political leaders, military commanders and national security experts worldwide. The challenge now is getting world leaders to act, and it’s high time they get to work to make that happen. But not without strong, sustained and urgent support from the public, leaders and the media.