Saudi terrorist latest of 140 sent home from Gitmo for ‘rehabilitation’

WireAP_b01bf2ddf3ed4b51810d7a1e0031b1f3_12x5_992
FILE –  The Pentagon said Wednesday, May 2, 2018, that Al-Darbi, who was sentenced to 13 years in October 2017 by a military commission, has been sent to his native Saudi Arabia to serve out the remainder of his sentence. (Ramzi Kassem via AP, File)

03 May 2018 |abdullah al-shihri, associated press | ABC News

 

Saudi Arabia confirmed on Thursday the arrival of a prisoner who was sent back to the kingdom from the Guantanamo Bay detention center to serve out the remainder of his 13-year sentence.

Ahmed Mohammed al-Darbi is the first detainee to leave the U.S. base in Cuba since President Donald Trump took office. The Pentagon first announced the transfer in a brief statement on Wednesday.

Saudi state security says al-Darbi arrived just before midnight on Wednesday and that his relatives had been notified.

DOD Announces Sentence for Detainee Ahmed Mohammed Ahmed Haza al-Darbi

The Department of Defense announced today that Ahmed Mohammed Ahmed Haza al-Darbi was sentenced to 13 years in confinement for conspiracy, attacking civilian objects, hazarding a vessel, terrorism, attempts, and aiding the enemy.
The sentencing hearing took place today in a military commission courtroom at the U.S. Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
During his Feb. 20, 2014, guilty pleas, al-Darbi pled guilty to the charged offenses stemming from an attempt to carry out terrorist attacks against shipping vessels in the Strait of Hormuz and off the coast of Yemen, and a completed terrorist attack against the French oil tanker, MV Limburg. As part of his plea deal he agreed to delay his sentence proceeding in order to cooperate with the Government.
Under the terms of the pre-trial agreement, al-Darbi agreed to testify for the United States at any military commission, federal court proceeding, or federal grand jury proceeding against other individuals alleged to have been involved in terrorist activity.
al-Darbi has cooperated with U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies and, as part of the pre-trial agreement, must continue to cooperate.  In exchange for al-Darbi’s guilty plea and promise to cooperate and testify, the Convening Authority agreed to limit the amount of confinement that would be approved.  If al-Darbi fails to comply with his promise to testify and cooperate, his prior plea agreement could be cancelled by the Convening Authority.
Once the record of trial is finalized, it will be sent to the Convening Authority for Military Commissions for action on the findings and sentence.  Al-Darbi can submit matters in clemency in order to convince the Convening Authority to lessen his adjudged sentence further.
After review of the clemency submissions, the Convening Authority may set aside the findings with respect to any charge, and he may reduce, but not increase, al-Darbi’s sentence.  After reviewing the record and taking final action on the findings and sentence, the Convening Authority will serve notice upon al-Darbi of his final decision.
After serving the remainder of his sentence, about nine years, al-Darbi will spend time in a Saudi rehabilitation center for convicted extremists that aims to help them assimilate back into society through frequent visits with relatives, religious counseling with moderate clerics, art therapy and even cash assistance to help them once out.

There have been around 140 detainees transferred from Guantanamo Bay to Saudi Arabia. His transfer brings the number of men still held at Guantanamo to 40.

The agreement to repatriate al-Darbi was made under President Barack Obama, whose administration had hoped to eventually close the detention center. Trump reversed that policy and has vowed to continue using the center.

Al-Darbi pleaded guilty before a military commission at the U.S. base in Cuba in 2014 to charges stemming from an al-Qaida attack on a French oil tanker. His plea deal included extensive testimony against others held at Guantanamo.

His charges included conspiracy, attacking civilian objects, terrorism and aiding the enemy for helping to arrange the 2002 al-Qaida attack on the French tanker MV Limburg. The attack, which killed a Bulgarian crew member, happened after al-Darbi was already in U.S. custody and was cooperating with authorities, according to court documents.

Al-Darbi, 43, was captured at an airport in Azerbaijan in June 2002 and taken to the U.S. base in Bagram, Afghanistan. He has testified to being kept in solitary confinement, strung up from a door in shackles, deprived of sleep and subjected to other forms of abuse as part of his early interrogation.

His lead defense counsel, Ramzi Kassem, said the transfer was the culmination of “16 long and painful years in captivity” by the United States at Guantanamo and in Afghanistan, with his children growing up without him and his own father dying.

In a statement released by Kassem, who was part of a legal team that included two military officers, al-Darbi described what he expected to be an emotional reunion with his family in Saudi Arabia.

“I cannot thank enough my wife and our children for their patience and their love. They waited sixteen years for my return,” he said. “Looking at what lies ahead, I feel a mixture of excitement, disbelief, and fear. I’ve never been a father. I’ve been here at Guantanamo. I’ve never held my son.”

Original Link | Saudi Arabia confirms arrival of Guantanamo Bay prisoner

 

Read This Day from Hawkins Bay Dispatch

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s